Thursday, October 21, 2010

Welcome to the Big Time

The Pac-10 announced today that they will have 2 divisions when Utah and Colorado join to form the Pac-12. It will be split north and south. North division will consist of Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon St., Stanford and California. South will be Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona St., UCLA and USC. What this means for Utah? I am not really sure anything for now. I think the divisions are fairly equal as far as power structure, as opposed to the Big XII as of late with Texas and Oklahoma both being in the south division. The media and school representatives have all been clamoring "Don't split us from southern Cal!" I think that sentiment is over rated. They all want to stay playing in southern Cal every year for recruiting purposes. With whatever TV contract they get, they will be on TV and that is truly all that matters for recruiting. If you are going into a kids home and telling him that he could play at Utah and compete for a Rose Bowl or National Championship and play games in either the same time zone or within a cheap flight to SLC, it's going to be easy either way.

With a similar idea, Oregon is at half time right now against UCLA and I know UCLA isn't great, but watching Oregon and their ever changing uniforms is awe inspiring. I just can't believe that the offense is that good, I mean 5 drives, 372 yards, 32 points in 10 minutes time of possession. I don't know how in the world they are not #1 in the BCS pole. Oklahoma?! Really?

With that being sad, here are my picks for the week.
Utah is hosting Colorado State. Utah is a 31 point favorite and I agree with that. CSU is an up and coming team that needs more experience along the O-line. They look like a middle of the pack team in the MWC next year. But not this year. Utah by 32

BYU is coming into the point in their schedule that can make you think they are a decent team. They play Wyoming at home this week and are favored by 10. They both have pretty similar stats but Wyoming has played a much tougher schedule. I will pick BYU because they are at home but I still haven't seen anything from the Cougars offense to think they can score more than 24 points. So I will say BYU by 2. Prove me wrong Cougars.

Utah State is hosting Hawaii and the odds have it Hawaii by 3.5. I want to say the Utah State will jump up and bite Hawaii in the butt, however I can't see any angle that tells me that. Hawaii by 5.

I am going with some extra picks this week because it's a big week for some of the top BCS teams. I mean some BIG games. #1 Oklahoma is playing at #11 Missouri with OU being a 6 point favorite. I am not sure Mizzou can beat them but I haven't seen anything from OU this year that tells me they are #1 in anything. OU by 2.

#6 LSU is visiting #4 Auburn. Auburn scored 63 points in regulation last week against Arkansas but it was the first time I think the offense "clicked". They won't be able to do that against LSU's defense, which is why they are still undefeated. But I don't think LSU's Gary Crowton* offense can generate enough points to match them. Auburn is a 4.5 favorite and 51.5 point over/under. It won't get anywhere near that high. I am guessing Auburn 23- LSU 17.

#15 Iowa hosting #13 Wisconsin. Iowa by 3
#16 Nebraska at #14 Oklahoma State. Big time offense against a pretty good defense. In this game, offense wins, OSU by 6.


* means to look here for a rant.
So, this week I heard a local radio host ask BYU fans if they wanted to keep current OC Robert Anai or bring in Gary Crowton to be the OC. "Are you kidding me?" I thought. "What BYU fan would want that mess to bring back memories of the worst times at the program since before Lavell. I was shocked when the majority said they would only as an OC, but they would. I repeat, "ARE YOU BLEEPING KIDDING ME?!" I will tell you a funny story. There was a guy who was a head coach at Louisiana Tech and had an awesome offensive attack for 3 years. After that, he became an OC in the NFL with the Bears. The first year was good, they ranked 3rd in the NFL in total offense and the Bears have yet to eclipse the total yards for that year. The next year however, is a different story. They were one of the worst offenses in the NFL with the most penalties. (sound familiar?) He than became a head coach at a major college football program with a very good history of winning. Most BYU fans want to forget everything in that time frame but I will remind them anyway. 2 years of AWESOME offense... than it all fell apart. Bad, undisciplined teams on the field, and off the field, well, it was even worse. Players being suspended, expelled and arrested. Even a sex scandal (gasp). Than he went to Oregon as an OC and had 2 years of excellent offense and than 2 years of really bad offense when LSU bailed him out again. Guess what, he had 2 years of awesome offense and the last 2 years? Well, LSU ranked 112 in total offense last year and this year is currently ranked 92nd. Really? BYU fans want that in Provo?! Ok guys, you are probably glad that Bronco or Tom Holmo would NEVER bring that joke back into town.

No comments: