Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thursday's Predictions and a side note

Let's start this week a little different. I want to go after my 2 national game picks first.

Let's start with one that might peak some local interest. Colorado at Missouri. The reason that this will be of interest locally is that the national media will be comparing Utah to Colorado starting next year. You know, the Pac-12 newbies. Missouri is 4-0 and is putting up some interesting numbers. However they have only played one respectable defense (San Diego State) and put up 27 points on them. CU is 3-1 with a wins over Georgia (not as good as you think), Hawaii and Colorado State. The loss was a blowout 52-7 by Cal. I don't think either team is as good as their record but Mizzou is better than CU. Not really defensively but offensively. If Mizzou can get out to an early start and make CU one dimensional, it could get ugly. Missouri by 17.

This one really has no interest to me, other than how bad can it get for a team. It's like watching a train wreck. New Mexico @ New Mexico State. You can't watch this game. I wouldn't watch this game if you paid me. Well, maybe if you paid me a salary, but... I would say for two really bad, I mean REALLY bad football teams, this may be either teams best chance to get a W. Sadly, it will go to State because they just aren't AS bad as NM. NMS 10 NM 6.

Utah State @ Louisiana Tech. This game is either going to be a carry over from the success last week for USU or a let down from an emotional win. Because this is a Biased Sports Report, I am going to say it's the former. Utah State is better than Louisiana Tech. They have better defensive numbers (surprisingly) even though they have played better teams. They have a better offense even though they have played better teams. They are on the cusp of growing their program much like the Utes did when they hired Ron McBride. This will be a route. Aggies by 24.

BYU is hosting San Diego State. I would love/hate to pick BYU here. I can't do it. They have yet to prove to me anything and SDSU is showing life in that program for the first time since Marshall Faulk. They are favored by 4.5. I doubt it. BYU is 96th in total offense and 101 in total defense. SDSU is 7th in total offense and 22nd in total defense. I'm going to say blowout. Sorry Cougar fans, all 65 thousand who will be at the game, this is going to be ugly. The only hope I see for a close game is that the defense wakes up under the tutelage of Bronco. I don't see it and I think SDSU by 24 because they let off the gas in the 4th.

Utah is playing in Big 12 country at Iowa State. The Cyclones offense can't even dream about scoring a ton on the 7th ranked defense in the country. With their own defense ranked 84th, I doubt they can stop the offense which is ranked 45th, but I think Shaky and the defense have a lot to do with the lower ranking because of the field position. Well, and those damn turnover's. Utah is favored by 6 and if I were a betting man, this would be my game of the week. Go Utah and go big. Utah may only win by 24 because they run the ball the entire 3rd and 4th quarters. Utah is really good. Not only because I'm biased, but they are ranked 10th in the nation because other people think so as well.



On a side note, Utah and BYU inked a deal today to play each other in football and basketball over the next 2 years. I love it, I really do. However, there is a but. The games are both going to be in Sept. I don't love that idea at all but the worst part about it, it's not even going to be the opening game of the year. 2011 is Sept 17th in Provo and 2012 is in Salt Lake on Sept 15th. Possibly the 3rd week of the season. I hate it! The only hope to that is that it's just a 2 year deal. If they wish to keep the national consideration for this game being as big as it is, they need to fix it before they sign another deal. I understand why they did it that way right now, Utah has to feel their way around the Pac-12 and BYU has some limitations right now. Let's hope that Utah can get some clout and say they need to be playing BYU in November instead of early in the year. I mean, they do it for Notre Dame against both Stanford and USC. They have done it for UCLA vs. both Utah and BYU. They can release certain dates upon request and I really don't want to see Utah playing Colorado in the last game of the year in some made up rivalry. It should be the same week that UW plays Wazzu, OU plays OSU, ASU vs AU, USC vs UCLA, Stanford Cal. Colorado can even talk CSU into playing them that week instead of the opening game every year. RIVALRY WEEKEND! PLEASE FIX THIS before you sing the next contract.

The other thing, with BYU, Utah, Utah State, Weber State, Southern Utah, UVSC (or whatever it's called now) all having legit (using the term loosely for Utah) Basketball programs, they need to do an instate tournament every year. A round robin style that every one plays each other and the 2 with the best record play again. Or even bracket it, with Utah State and BYU on either side of the bracket so they would meet in the end if they both won out. That would prove the true best team in the state every year. I would go to that tourney wherever it was held! Hold it in Saint George, I don't care, HOLD IT! It needs to get done TOMORROW!

No comments: