Thursday, October 14, 2010

How Can This Happen?

Before I go into what I think is a dog weekend in college football, I want to discuss what happened last Saturday while BYU was hosting San Diego State.

In the 4th quarter, with BYU leading 17-14, JJ Diluigi ran off the right guard for an ok gain and the view I got from my spot on the couch, the next thing to happen was an Aztec D linemen getting up with the ball. Much to the chagrin of Coach Hoke, the call on the field was down by contact. He challenged the play, giving the TV guys, from the Mountain Network I might add, plenty of time to look at lots of different angles of the play. The only angle that didn't show the ball on the ground BEFORE his knee, was the first angle they shot the play from with a big o-linemen in the way. Diluigi fumbled and the same guy who stripped the ball from him had full control of the ball while on the ground being contacted by Diluigi. After listening to both announcers say that the call would be overturned for about 3 minutes (double the time they say it should take to review a play), I heard the official announce that the call on the field stands. I was dumbfounded and even told my dad, who I was on the phone with at the time, that San Diego should file a complaint with the league because that could cost them the game. And it very well might have. BYU continued the drive and ended it with their final score of the afternoon, a 1-yard run by Bryan Kariya to go up 24-14.

Everyone who saw that play has to admit that it was a fumble, if you can't please stop reading now, go to the bathroom, remove the blue colored contacts with a Y in the middle. Are they gone? OK, now re-watch the play with this link (it's about 1:45) but put a red jersey on the RB and a blue jersey on the d-lineman. Now you can see it's a fumble. Good for you True Blue Cougar, you have made the first step in not being a moron.

Now knowing that, understand that the MWC actually suspended 3 people from officiating in this week's games. The head official, the replay official and the BYU videographer. They also told SDSU that a controversial Pass Interference call after the Aztecs had stopped BYU on 3rd down should not have been called. I agree with that as well. I normally don't blame the officials for games and I normally agree with what Urban Meyer once said while here in Utah. "You have to play so officials don't matter, you have to make your own luck." That was paraphrased because I can't find where he said it nor the exact wording, but you get the gist. Even when Seattle lost Superbowl XL, I didn't exactly blame the officials. They only "blew" one call in my opinion and the others were just close calls that usually aren't called. This is different however, this could be something of an issue when the officials are actually suspended. I applaud the MWC for taking a stand on a most egregious call and holding the zebras responsible. Why the BYU videographer was involved in the first place, I don't know. I can guess it has something to do with the HD capabilities that BYU has that no one else does, but I don't know. Why was he suspended though? Did he do something... untoward? Did he not live correctly off the field? I hope to find out soon, and I hope that this sets a precedence that officials can and will get punished for bad calls just like the athletes get punished for playing poorly.

Ok, now that's off my chest, my predictions for this week:
First is Utah at Wyoming. Well, for the Cowboys sake, let's hope the Utah 1st teamers miss the bus, even than, T Cain will lead the 2nd team Utes to a huge win. The line is 20.5 right now, I think it's much worse. Utah takes the 3rd scoring offense against the 97th ranked scoring defense. it's going to get ugly and stay ugly. Utah by 31.

Second is BYU going into Ft. Worth Texas to play TCU. If you read my blog often, you know how good I think TCU is. If you want stats, just click here, but this game is going to be the worst loss for BYU since Boise State in 2004. Man that was a cold game. Anyway, the line is TCU by 29.5. Nope TCU by 35.

Utah State has a bye week so they shouldn't lose this week.

My national picks this week are going to be a little different. I want to pick relevant games to the local teams. So, because this pits #7 against #12, I'm going with Auburn hosting Arkansas. Sadly, I think the Razorbacks win it. I say sadly because they would jump Utah, although Auburn might drop past them if that does happen, but Arkansas is just a better all around team. Yes Auburn has Cam Cameron, but have you seen that defense? Yuck.

The other is the Mississippi State at Florida. The reason why it's relevant to us is the coaches. Urban Meyer against Dan Mullin. They were both here in Utah together (Mullin being the QB coach) and they were both in Florida together (Mullin being the OC). Florida has the better Defense and Miss State has the better offense, but I think that Mississippi State smells blood in the water and the Bulldogs are ready for this one. Florida is a 7.5 point favorite and if you bet, bet Mississippi State, they will at least cover and I think they will win.

Go Utes and former Utes!

No comments: