Friday, January 9, 2009

Rant

The College football polls came out today, and was I wrong.  The USA Today poll, which the coaches are "obligated" to vote for the BCS National title winner was as follows;
#1-Florida (60)
#2-USC
#3-Texas
#4-Utah (1)
Ok, so coach Whit bucked the system, but right about what I thought.  Here is what surprised me, the AP top 25 poll (which is the Associated Press Poll) looks like this;
#1-Florida (48)
#2-Utah (16)
#3-USC (1)
#4-Texas
So, I was wrong again, but that would most likely be where I'd put my vote as well.  I could see the Utes playing with anyone and even beating some, if not most of the teams in the top ten.  I see them as even with Texas, and if they played USC 10 times, they would win 4 or 5.  But Florida is, well, Florida.  I would hate to see an Andy Ludwig coached "spread" offense go up against a true, well coached, by someone who wants to coach a spread, spread offense.  I think the Utah defense would do pretty well against Florida, it would be a close game because of it.  The difference is, that Florida's defense would almost laugh at the scheme's that are Utah's offense.  They would think they were in spring ball again.  It's not that I don't think Utah could move the ball, it's that they couldn't do it consistently.  I also don't want to say it has anything to do with Brian Johnson or the rest of the offensive players. 
 Andy Ludwig is not comfortable with the spread option.  That was evident last year when Johnson was hurt.  He started running a more traditional offense.  Ironic as it was, it was the offenses most productive year under Ludwig, not Brian Johnson's, but the offense.  I am looking forward to have a new offensive coordinator in Utah and I wish Andy Ludwig the best in his new job where he can run his offense and hopefully have success.

No comments: