Saturday, December 27, 2014

What brought me back

Whirlwind sports news and no one to talk to about it.  Well, with all due respect to my wife, the glazed over look she gave me when talking about Gary Anderson's coaching pedigree made me realize I need to sit down and write again.

So I'm back doing something I love, writing about sports.  Being able to get my thoughts and feelings out in a medium I respect, regardless if any one else reads it or not, brings me joy.  Feeling the weight of opinions expressed being lifted off my shoulders in grand way.

I love sports.  Standing in line at a gas station on Christmas day, talking to a stranger who I just met about the state of Badger football because of the sweater he was wearing warms my soul.  Instant comradery with someone who I have no business talking to.  Coach Gary Anderson is our link.  My favorite defense that went from Utah to Utah State to Wisconsin has now landed at Oregon State.

What's the state of Badger football?  How comfortable do you feel with the new coach?  Oh, I love it.  Great hire, he's been there before.  However I would have loved to see what Coach Anderson could have done.  It's to bad he felt the need to go somewhere else.  How do you feel about him stealing your DC?  Oh I don't know, from what I've heard he's a great guy, but I haven't really loved the defense since Coach Anderson left.  Don't get me wrong, it's really good.  Under him though it was great with less talent.  This is one of the reasons I love sports.

Now, on to a darker topic.  The state of Utah Football is drastically different today than 2 days ago.  First let me tell you the sequence of events as I know them.  I will qualify all of this by saying I do not, let me repeat, I do NOT have a #Source.  I don't have any inside information and what I know is hearsay from people who do have sources.  Right now that's really mucky water because it seems as though we are all hearing multiple stories from multiple "sources".  Again, let me tell you the sequence of events.

2014 has been tumultuous for the Utah offense.  The defense was better than it's been since 2008 (Coach Anderson's last year at Utah).  Highlighted by the defensive line play once again.  It seems as though every year since Coach Whittingham has taken over there is NFL talent on the line.  This year there is one of the best talents the Utes have ever seen in Nate Orchard.  18 sacks in a single season.  He's not just a pass rusher though.  The dude's a beast who disrupts every aspect on field.  He bull rushes lighter tackles and guards into the QB or fly's around the bigger guys with unbelievable speed.  You don't get anywhere when you rush at him because he closes the gaps by taking on several blocks unlike most pass rushers.  You don't get anywhere by rushing away from him because he runs it down from the back end.  You still have to block him because of his speed.  On the other side of the line is Hunter Dimick.  A speed rusher who compliments Orchard perfectly.  I'm not going to break the entire line down, just say that they are fantastic. They earned their nickname Sack Lake City with only rushing four most times. 

The linebackers went through some injuries and saw several different starters through out the year.  I can't even fathom how good this defense could have been with a healthy Gionni Paul in the middle.  He was a dominant defender who made an instant impact when he came back from injury.
The secondary was good as well.  Really though, because of the d-line, they really didn't have to hold out for too long most of the time.  When they did though, they got exposed. Brian Blechen was constantly out of place and took really bad angles on fast receivers which gave up huge plays against Washington State, Arizona and Oregon.  Again though, they were beset by injuries and they looked great many times in the year.  Eric Rowe was, at times, a huge bright spot, but like most DB''s, other times he looked like he got cocky and got beat deep. 

The offense is a totally different story.  The first three games of the season, against sub par opponents, they were on fire.  Throwing the ball down the field with accuracy and running over and through everyone.  Once the competition stiffened up at Michigan, the offense stumbled, badly.  They once again ranked near the bottom in the Pac-12 in nearly every category except rushing (thanks Booker).  Travis Wilson was much beleaguered throughout the year until Kendal Thompson played and the offense was miserably one dimensional.  It seemed as though there was a rift between Coach Whittingham and Offensive Coordinator (and buddy) Dave Christensen concerning who the QB should be and what type of offense should be run.  This rift deepened throughout the year to where it was obvious in the Oregon game when, still contestable, Coach Christiansen pulled Travis Wilson in favor of Conner Manning, a redshirt freshman who had seen zero playing time and probably third string reps in practice.  Welcome to the Pac-12 son, go out there and beat the eventually number 2 (champion?) ducks.  This move turned a close game into a blowout. 

Despite this, they won 9 games including their bowl game, having the hardest schedule in NCAA for the second year in a row.  Huge year, on a junior and sophomore laden team.  The upside for this team looks incredible.  

Less than a week later, all hell has broken lose.  Kalani Sitaki has taken what is considered a less than lateral move to Gary Anderson's staff at Oregon State as the DC.  Ilaisa Tuiaki, the artist behind the d-line, went with him.  Utah twitterverse exploded blaming everyone from Coach Whitt to Dr Chris Hill, the AD.  All the while still exclaiming how wonderful coach Sitaki is. Coach Christensen has taken the "running game coordinator" job at Texas A&M.  He took a step down to get away from what seems like an over bearing Whittingham.  However, the Ute twitterverse is again exploding, this time blaming Chris Hill.  With 8 OC's in 8 years, you'd think people were used to this type of thing.  however, it sent a mini shock wave throughout the Utah media center so every one to their sources to find out what is going on. 

It seems as though a growing rift as been forming between Coach Whitt and Dr Hill.  Again, seemingly because of the lack of extension of the assistant's contracts.  It's amazing that a twenty year partnership, if not friendship, can be broken so easily.  I think there is more to it than what we are hearing.  Whitt has shown loyalty and expects it in return.  Dr Hill is a Utah man who has build the entire athletic program from the laughing stock he inherited to a power house football program, a top 20 (rebuilt) basketball program and many more accolades.  He is and should be about the health of the business of Utah Football. 

It pains me to see this going on as a die hard Utah fan who has been going to games since before Ronnie Mac.  It would have been easier had Utah not been as dominant as they were and won 9 games.  If they had again not made it to a bowl game, Coach Whittingham, and the rest of the staff would have been let go. 

You have to feel that Dr Hill has options in the works.  You have to also feel that someone with the resume of Coach Whittingham has options as well.  I've heard rumors from him taking over the BYU program (how does that make Broco feel?) to being Andy Reid's DC at Kansas City.  If Jim Harbaugh doesn't take the Michigan job, rumors also have Whitt there.  If Whitt does leave, Dr hill had best make a splash because it puts him on the clock. 

Best case scenario I see happening here is that Coach Whittingham fulfills his current contract threw next year and leaves with his head held high and hopefully a Pac-12 championship under his belt.  Hey, I can dream right?

Tell me what you think and what you are seeing in this. 

No comments: