Thursday, April 4, 2013

I'm back... again

Hello all you faithful and awesome followers!!  I know you've missed me and I've missed doing this so I'm back to give my schpiel on sports as we know it.  Here is a quick rundown of everything that has happened in my biased sports world since my last post.

Utah football: one meh year with Norm Chow (now the HC at Hawaii) was attempting some weird combo of the spread and west coast offenses and one abysmal year under the youngest offensive coordinator I've ever even heard of (I mean really?  BJ was the QB for the team in 2008) and where even the defense looked lost most of the time.  Throwing up seemed a more pleasurable experience than watching the garbage that  was displayed by the Utes.  In fact, every coach but one that the Utes beat in the Pac-12 has got fired over the last two years.  And the Mike Leach experiment in Pullman is yet to be decided.  That is how bad the were.  However, in the off season, they finally made a solid choice (hopefully) in offensive coaches.  Bryan Johnson is still the co-coordinate, but they brought in Dennis Erickson (yes that Dennis Erickson, of the Miami two time national championship and leaving to coach the Seahawks) to help him along.  They have narrowed the offense from a non functional "multi" scheme mess to a fast paced spread offense.  Erickson has been quoted in saying he wants at least 80 offensive plays a game.  The Utes averaged under 65 last year.  So that's a huge jump.  That's Oregon like numbers.  Hopefully they can hit it and Travis Wilson proves he is a bigger man than Jordan Wynn was. 

Running Utes Basketball:  New coach, same results... so far.  They did go nuts and beat two teams in the conference tourney this year and show some major promise.  But I seem to remember saying something like that in 2004...

Seahawks:  The Pete Carrol thing is going much better than I originally thought.  They have drafted well and attacked the free agent market this year and are a favorite to come out of the NFC West, even with the 49ers Super Bowl loss. 

The Utah Spazz, I mean Jazz.  They look great against the mid range teams and have even learned to beat the lower level teams.  But they seem star struck whenever they see a really athletic and disciplined team.  They are currently in the 9th spot in the west with seven games left and 1/2 game out of the 8th spot.  Honestly it doesn't look good to make the playoffs and even if they do, they'll be playing the Spurs again.  Yikes.  If they re-sign Big Al Jefferson, the biggest defensive liability I've seen since, well Boozer, I'm becoming a Sonics fan again.  Even though they may not even have a team next year, I'll just wear my old green and gold and wait. 

The Mariner's.  They look solid.  they are a grand 2-0 this year and I am super excited about the next 400 or so games they play in a season.  On a side note, I may actually be becoming more of a White Sox fan than I have before.  Those who've known me for a long time know that I've quietly sported the gear since I was 14, but now I'm actually starting to follow them a bit. 

All in all, I'm back.  Back again.  Look who's back. 

No comments: