Saturday, December 18, 2010

Bowl Season

First I'd like to apologize for my lack of writing the past few weeks. I've been geeking out and I'll be better and more consistent.

Right now BYU is killing UTEP in the New Mexico Bowl. Not even very exciting to watch really. I am really impressed with this young BYU team and how they have changed this season. I also wonder why recruiting was so poor for a couple years. Not last year obviously, but what happened in between Max Hall and Jake Heaps? Think about it BYU fans, the future is bright because Jake Heaps (Freshman QB), Joshua Quezada (Freshman RB), and Cody Hoffman (Freshman WR) could end up being BYU's version of "The Triplets" from the '90's Cowboys team. All three have come on strong in BYU's resurgence and Heaps to Hoffman and a play action pass to Quezada could get very familiar over the next three years. What about the older guys though? Where did they go or why aren't they the quality of the younger ones? Let's hope that during BYU's independent foray that it's not a pattern that continues.

For the rest of the bowl games, I'll focus on the BCS and a few others. My main bowl, The Vegas Bowl, I will get into at a later date. I'll start at the granddaddy of them all. The Rose Bowl. Wisconsin vs. TCU. Kinda brings back memories of growing up and watching the Rose Bowl on New Years day and both these historic programs... wait, Wisconsin won the Big Ten (which will keep it's name with 12 teams)? TCU is going in place of a Pac-10 team? My pick is TCU, who I think is the best team in the country. Oregon may have a better offense, Auburn may have the Best pro player (if you get paid, you are a pro, not a student athlete), but TCU leads the country in almost every defensive category and is 9th in total offense. They are DAMN good. TCU by 12.

Fiesta Bowl, which should be a rematch between Oklahoma and Boise St. except the stupid BCS gave Uconn the bowl bid even though they didn't deserve it. Oklahoma by 21. At least.

Orange Bowl. Stanford vs. Virginia Tech. Both really good teams. However, my top 5 looks like this: 1. Oregon, 2. TCU , 3. Stanford, 4. Auburn, 5. Boise St. So, I think Stanford will prove that physical football can win in the west and the east. They will beat Va Tech by 10.

Arkansas and Ohio St. are playing in the Sugar Bowl. I honestly can't gauge either team here. The Big 10 was pretty good this year and the SEC was WAY down this year so is Arkansas really any good. Honestly, I'm going Ohio St. to buck the trend of the Big 10 losing to the SEC and win by 10.

For the Independence Bowl, I am taking Air Force to roll over Georgia Tech, proving that they are legit.

The New Era Pinstripe Bowl, All I'm going to say is Syracuse is back in a bowl game for the first time since Donavan McNabb was the QB there. So I really don't care, I just think it's cool that they are turning it around.

The Hyundai Sun Bowl pits Notre Dame vs. Miami. I honestly want ND to win so Utah looks better, but I hope Miami wins because growing up, I loved the Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson Miami teams. I don't know why, but I did. On a side note, I want to go through all the coaching changes that may happen and how it will effect Utah but I will do that on a different post.

In the Fight Hunger Bowl, Nevada is going to run all over Boston College. I honestly think this could be the "surprise" blow out of the year.

And finally, the "National Championship". Oregon against Auburn. Pac-10 vs. SEC. You've read my top 5. I think it will be a high scoring, close game until mid way through the 3rd quarter. Oregon has better coaches, and better players at almost every position and will pull away from the one man team of Auburn. I've seen Auburn a couple times this year and have not been impressed by the defense at all. The only reason they beat Miss St is the Miss St wideouts kept dropping balls. I watched 2 td's dropped and another pass that would have put them in field goal range in the 4th to tie it. I have seen a lot of Oregon games and the only time I thought anything bad about them is when they blew up Stanford in the 2nd half. The first half was dominated by Stanford's run game and Andrew Luck (Best QB in the country) beating them in the play-action pass. They fixed it at half time and destroyed the 3rd best team in the country. Oregon by 3 at the half, oregon by 24 at the end. Go DUCKS.

No comments: